This method is great if you have a ‘service account’ Apple ID that multiple admins must log into, such as for APNs or Apple School Manager / Apple Business Manager. Yes, this method does work for Admin Managed Apple IDs (MAIDs)!
1) Navigate to https://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID / MAID.
2) Scroll down to the Security section and click the “Edit” button
3) Under “Trusted Phone Numbers” click “Add another phone number…”
4) Enter your second number and click “Continue”
5) When the code comes through, enter it into the prompt and click “Verify”
6) Once done, click “Done”
7) You’ll see both numbers showing up under the Security settings
8) Next time you login with this account, you’ll have the option on which 2-Factor number you wish to use.
When being offered a phone number to use for SMS 2FA, you’ll only be shown the last two digits. Bear this in mind when adding a second number! If both of your numbers have the same last two digits you’ll have to guess which is correct.
Additionally, I’m aware that SMS-based MFA has flaws, however it’s still better than no MFA! Also try to have long, complex passwords and decent security passwords can help.
There we go. I’ve shown a nice easy way to add additional second second-factor devices to Apple IDs, including MAIDs! As always, if you have any questions, queries or comments, let me know below (or @daz_wallace on Mac Admins Slack) and I’ll try to respond to and delve into as many as I can.
The usual Disclaimer:
While the author has taken care to provide our readers with accurate information, please use your discretion before acting upon information based on the blog post. I will not compensate you in any way whatsoever if you ever happen to suffer a loss/inconvenience/damage because of/while making use of information in this blog.